Sciatica is one of the most common types of pain, reported to occur to up to 10% of the population, commonly in people age 25 to 45 years old. Almost all cases will resolve themselves with nonsurgical treatment and gradually settle within 3 months.
Regular massage therapy (especially Deep Tissue treatment) combined with assisted stretching is very beneficial for sciatic patients, although it cannot cure the underlying condition that caused it (except when it is solely caused by inflammation of the piriformis muscle). Even though massage therapy benefits on sciatic pain may be temporary, it may still play a role in managing painful stiffness and helping to improve quality of life.
Book online a deep tissue massage at Swiss Heaven Spa in Coral Springs to help loosen tightened muscles which place stress on your sciatic nerve. Massage therapy is also known to release endorphins, which is a natural way to fight sciatic pain you may be experiencing.
Sciatica is not a disease or injury by itself, but a symptom of another condition. Most commonly, it is a result of a lumbar disc herniation directly pressing on the sciatic nerve, but any cause of irritation or inflammation of the nerve can reproduce the symptoms of sciatica:
- Herniated disc or slipped disc, causing pressure on a nerve root, which is the most common sciatica cause;
- Piriformis syndrome, occurring when the piriformis muscle spasms and irritates or compresses the sciatic nerve;
- Spinal stenosis, resulting from narrowing of the spinal canal with pressure on the nerves;
- Spondylolisthesis, narrowing the opening through which the nerve exits, due to a slippage of one vertebra;
- Pregnancy, often referred as Pseudo-Sciatica because it is not caused by the typical spinal source, but the pain symptoms resemble those of real sciatica. Sciatic pain is common during pregnancy, due to the increased hormone levels, increased weight, postural strain and stress.
People diagnosed with Sciatic pain typically fall into one of these categories:
b. Daily lifting of heavy objects
c. Not exercising and stretching regularly
d. Overuse of some muscle groups
e. Obesity or diabetes
If you are looking to get relief from sciatica pain with massage in Broward county or Palm Beach county, you may book a deep tissue massage session with Melissa, an independent massage therapist and esthetician from Switzerland. Located in North Broward, Swiss Heaven Spa proudly serves clients residing in Parkland, Boca Raton, Coconut Creek, Deerfield Beach, Tamarac, Pompano Beach, Margate, North Lauderdale, Delray Beach, Sunrise, Plantation and Boynton Beach.
The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your phyician with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition.